Sessions from 22nd to 24th September 2021
“Fiore di Botta”
Campus di Biologia e Biomedicina
University of Padova
Via del Pescarotto, 8 - 35131 Padova PD
The complex “Fiore di Botta”, designed by Ticino-based architect Mario Botta, was inaugurated on 30 September 2014 to become the educational centre of Biology and Biomedicine for professors, researchers and thousands of students.The structure is composed of a single semicircular building with a total volume of over 34,000 cubic metres, a height of 18.5 metres and a surface area per floor of 1,727 square metres. It features 18 classrooms with a total of 1,668 seats, 25 labs with 728 seats, IT rooms, two study rooms and areas for lecturers and administrative-technical personnel. The layout of the building with its 5 radially-arranged architectural volumes suggests the image of a flower with petals, hence the name Botta’s Flower.
The heart of the building features a large, semi-cylindrical entrance with a ceiling open to sunlight while the exterior is exposed brickwork on a concrete structure. Energy saving was a key aspect of the design and construction process of this state-of-the-art and highly technological structure, both in terms of its architectural-construction features (building envelope) and air conditioning and lighting systems.
Opening Ceremony and Welcome Cocktail on September 21st
to be defined
ASPA meeting on September 21st
Via Orto Botanico, 15
35123 Padova PD
The Botanical Garden of Padua, in Veneto, was founded as a medicinal resource by the University of Padua in 1545, and it was the first-ever university botanical garden.
“It is the origin of all the botanical gardens in the world, a cradle of science and scientific exchange, serving as the basis for the understanding of the relationship between nature and culture. It largely contributed to the progress of a number of modern scientific fields, the likes of which include, of course, botanicals, as well as medicine, chemistry, ecology and pharmaceuticals.”
With this justification, UNESCO added Padua’s Botanical Garden to its World Heritage List in 1997.